AmCham Executive Director’s June Top 10 List
I know that many of you will be taking an extended holiday in July, so the month of July will not be our usual hectic month. But we will still be offering a number of great events, so please view our Events Calendar for upcoming events. During July, we’ll be spending a lot of time planning and recalibrating our operations to prepare for what we know will be a super busy Q3. A couple of new initiatives of note in June included our Secret Speaker Networking Night, the first meeting on Singapore Joint Cybersecurity Working Group, first AmCham Women Taskforce Meeting, and the first ASEAN Smart Cities Network briefing. In total, we had 20 very diverse events during the month of June – we try to offer something for everyone! Before this list gets too long, below is my Top 10 List for June and July.
1. AmCham in the media spotlight, officially endorses Singapore Summit (Trump-Kim Summit): we were very proud to have officially come out in support of the historic dialogue between President Kim and North Korea’s Kim Jung Un. We also garnered great media coverage in the New York Times, Singapore Business Review, The Seattle Times, Business Times and more, putting AmCham Singapore on the global map. We’re looking to hold a panel event on market entry to North Korea, so please let me know if you have expertise on market entry/development and/or on North Korea.
2. AmCham issues official statement urging the US to join CPTPP: once again, AmCham Singapore was the first to come out urging the US to join the Comprehensive and Progressive Agreement for Trans-Pacific Partnership (CPTPP) which was covered by various media outlets including the Straits Times. This along with other key trade and policy issues will be on our agenda for our upcoming advocacy mission to DC, 15-18 July.
3. Washington Doorknock: we’ll be bringing a strong delegation to represent AmCham Singapore to DC this month to meet with government officials, members of Congress, and policy influencers during our 4-day back-to-back meetings. A big thank you to United Airlines, for your generous in-kind contribution for the Doorknock flight to DC (for the Executive Director). I’m excited about my first Singapore to San Francisco non-stop route!
4. Exclusive C-Suite Fireside Chat Series: we had the pleasure of hosting two c-suite leaders in June with PayPal’s CTO Sri Shivananda and Peter Eastwood, CEO & President of Berkshire Hathaway Specialty Insurance (BHSI). Thank you to our colleagues at PayPal in particular Suu Wei Ho who is also our Committee co-chair for Government and Regional Affairs, and BHSI for working with us on the events. Both events turned out brilliantly and our members really enjoyed the insights shared as well as the intimate networking opportunity. We’d love to do offer more of these intimate engagement sessions, so if your company’s c-level leaders will be coming through Singapore, please let me know so that we can curate a meaningful opportunity for sharing and networking!
5. We’re hiring a Member Relations Manager: it was bittersweet as we said farewell to Jessie Levin, Member Relations Manager, as she is moving on to join one of our member companies. But we’re excited about adding another dynamic account manager to join our A-team. Please spread the word to those that you think would be a great fit for our business development/sales team. Here is the job announcement which provides more information about the role.
6. Virtual & live participation for our seminars and talks will be available soon: for our overseas members, and for those of you that have very tight schedules, we will soon be offering virtual & live participation so that you continue to get value out of your membership. Starting in August, we’ll look to pilot a software to enable virtual participation thanks to the technology offered by an AmCham member company Meet and Engage. So please do continue to register for upcoming events, even if you cannot physically attend. We’ll also start using this platform for regular member engagement with the member relations team to host virtual “Townhall” meetings.
7. Cybersecurity Subcommittee established under the ICT Committee: we are very pleased to announce that due to popular demand from our members, AmCham has officially established a subcommittee on Cybersecurity (under the full ICT committee). Thank you to Booz Allen Hamilton for submitting the official application to create this new committee. If you’re interested in learning more about this Subcommittee, and becoming an active member, please contact Stella at email@example.com.
8. Manpower Survey results and Report now available: every year, we conduct a survey to gather feedback from AmCham member companies on any challenges and changes in manpower related issues. The results from this survey is then shared in a Report with the officials at the Ministry of Manpower and the Singapore Economic Development Board. The Manpower Survey Report continues to serve as an essential barometer for not just AmCham policy staff as we advocate on Manpower issues, but also to the Chamber’s Singapore government stakeholders. Thank you to all those that participated in this survey. You can find the official Report on our website.
9. New member reception at Agoda Outside: our new member welcome reception for Q2 was hosted by Agoda Outside at their beautiful office overlooking the water on 8 June. Thank you to the team at Agoda, in particular Peter Allen, who is also AmCham’s Committee Co-chair on Government and Regional Affairs. The event was supported by our generous sponsors GEMS World Academy, Certain Cellars and Laeta. It was a lively evening with great wine, rum, food and chatter. Thank you to the committee co-chairs (Victor Chin, Jeff Weisel, Chris Hall, Paul Wilt, Tom Kraabel, Cindy Owens, and Marine Queniart-Stojanovic) and AmCham Governor (Lisa Liaw, Amex) for attending the reception to welcome our Q2 new members.
10. Registering/sponsoring upcoming Balestier events before spaces run out: we have a great line-up of Balestier speakers in Q3 and Q4. If you are interested in learning more about sponsoring these events and the VIP sponsorship benefits, please contact Kelli at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you’d like to reserve a corporate table for priority seating, please contact Aisyah at email@example.com.
– Minister Chan Chun Sing (MTI) on 14 August, Register
– Minister Ng Eng Hen (Defence) on 18 September, Register
– Mr. Ng Wai Choong (IRAS) on 25 September, Register
– Minister Heng Swee Kiat (Finance) on 2 November, Register
I always get very excited about getting your feedback, suggestions and requests for a catch-up meeting. So please do reply to this message and let me know if you and your company are getting value out of your membership with us. I’d love to hear from you!
All the best,