AmCham Executive Director’s July Top 10 List
I know how busy you are, so let me get straight to my July-August Top 10 List to keep you updated on the Chamber happenings and priorities!
- Welcoming our New Head of Government and Public Affairs: we’re very pleased to announce that our new Head of GPA, Ravi Alfreds, will start on 13 August. A big thank you to VOLT and Ben Batten for the incredible expertise in attracting great candidates for the role! Ravi brings over 10 years of experience with Singapore’s Ministry of Foreign Affairs including as the Deputy Chief of Mission at UAE. He has also spent 6 years in Washington DC during his undergraduate and graduate studies at the George Washington University. With this fantastic addition to our A-team, you can expect to see new advocacy initiatives to better serve our member companies!
- Successful Washington DC Doorknock Advocacy Mission: last month, AmCham Singapore had the largest delegation joining the Asia Pacific Council of American Chambers of Commerce (APCAC) in DC to advocate for key policy priorities that impact US businesses in Asia. Our 10-member strong delegation were joined by 40-total delegates from 11 other AmChams in the region. We met with senior officials in the Trump Administration and over 60 congressional offices in the House and the Senate.
- Our Washington Policy Positions and Report: we’ll continue to build on our policy positions and policy report to strengthen our advocacy efforts. As the Vice Chair of APCAC, I also published an Op-Ed in a Washington paper pushing for greater US engagement with the Asia-Pacific region.
- AmCham Women Accelerate Symposium & Cocktail Reception (Friday 28 Sep): we continue to maintain our strong momentum in advancing diversity & inclusion in the workplace through major events (and there’s been a lot of strategic planning and research being conducted behind the scenes as well). Click here to learn more and to register to attend what is sure to be an inspirational event which will also include micro executive coaching session. Also let me know if your company would like to recommend a dynamic c-suite regional leader to speak on the panel. To sponsor or participate as a coach at this inaugural Accelerate Symposium, please contact Kelli at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Appointment of New Committee Co-Chairs: the two newly appointed Co-Chairs are Ganga Nirmal Kumar, Head of Government Affairs & Markets, Singapore, 3M Technologies Pte. Ltd.for Government & Regional Affairs Committee and Mike Molloy, Global Procurement Category Leader – Travel & Expense, Rio Tinto for Travel & Leisure Committee. Welcome to our leadership circle!
- US Secretaries of State and Commerce Announce America’s Indo-Pacific Economic Vision: on 30 July, Secretary Pompeo shared the Trump Administration’s vision and strategy on its engagement with the region. The Commerce Secretary Ross also announced the Department’s trade engagement priorities aligned with the “free and open” engagement with the region. The US Commercial Service senior officials also provided AmCham members an in-depth briefing on these issues last week. We’ll continue to watch closely on its rollout and impact in the region.
- Don’t Miss Out on Our “Welcome Back Reception” — the Biggest Networking Event of the Year (Thursday 30 August): with a live band, a great array of delectables, and a chance to win attractive prizes, this Welcome Back Reception is one evening which you do not want to miss. Please mark your calendar and register to attend! A big thank you to our presenting sponsor Stamford American International School as well as our many other amazing supporters for making this event possible.
- Calling on Investors and Entrepreneurs for AmCham “Lions Den” Pitch Fest: by popular demand, we’re looking to put together our first ever “Lions Den” Pitch Fest where entrepreneurs will get a chance to pitch their innovative businesses to AmCham investor “Lions” in the “Den”. If your company has a venture capital arm or are an entrepreneur whose courageous enough to enter the Den and pitch your innovation, please let me know!
- Expedite Your International Travel and Enroll in the Global Entry Program to Apply for APEC Business Travel Card at AmCham Office (3-5 Sep): in coordination with the US Customs and Border Protection, from 3-5 Sept AmCham will provide our venue for interviews for enrollment into the Global Entry Program which is required to apply for the APEC Business Travel Card. If you are a U.S. Citizen or a passport holder of selected countries with which U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) has International Arrangements, please consider taking advantage of this opportunity to interview at our Office.
If you are interested in participating, you will need to apply through the CBP Trusted Traveler/Global Entry website.
- 121 Total Events So Far, 100 Plus More Coming Your Way: I’m really proud of the AmCham team for delivering a total of 121 events as of end of July. We also know that it’s not about quantity but that the quality and the diversity of our events are critical in ensuring that you get value out of your membership with the Chamber. So please don’t hesitate to let me know what types of offerings you’d like to see and visit our Events Calendar on a regular basis so that you don’t miss out on another 100+ great events coming your way!
Thanks for reading and I look forward to staying in touch!
All the best,