AmCham Executive Director’s January Top 10 List
Happy New Year and I hope you had a great holiday! The AmCham Team is officially back in business this week. The Chamber ended 2018 with 218 events featuring over 260 speakers and 8,600 attendees. We managed to meet our target of a 10% increase in our membership making us the biggest and most active international business chamber in Southeast Asia. Thank you for your ongoing support and engagement in making AmCham a vibrant business community.
We have another exciting year ahead planned for you. Here is my Top 10 List to get you updated on the latest happenings at the Chamber:
- President Halimah Yacob to Address AmCham at our 46th Annual General Meeting: we are thrilled to announce that Madam President has confirmed that she will be the Guest of Honor at our AGM Luncheon on April 26th. At the AGM, the President will also be recognizing our member companies for their great CSR programs through our annual AmCham CARES Award. If you are interested in sponsoring the event (contact Kelli at firstname.lastname@example.org) or reserving a corporate table (Nathan at email@example.com), please contact us ASAP. We will be sending out the application forms for the AmCham CARES Award soon.
- AmCham Board Nomination/Election: in the coming weeks we will be sending information on how you can submit your nomination to run for the AmCham Board. So please keep a lookout if you are interested in running for the Board. Save the Date: the new board members will be announced at our 46th Annual General Meeting Luncheon on April 26th. For information on Board qualifications, you can view the relevant section in our Constitution.
- Singapore-Malaysia in 2019 Insights by Bilahari Kausikan: join us on January 31st for an off-the record discussion with Mr. Bilahari Kausikan, thought leader, academician, writer and former Permanent Secretary and Ambassador-at-Large at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, as he shares his insights on how Singapore-Malaysia relations would evolve in 2019, and why multinational companies in the region should be concerned about Malaysia’s unilateral actions. Given the importance of the Singapore-Malaysia relationship, we will also be doing several other events on Malaysia in 2019. Register
- US-China Trade War Survey Report: we released our US-China Trade War Survey Report in December with an expert panel event. Thank you to all those that participated in the Survey. The Report, developed in coordination with our knowledge partner Blackbox Research, received local and international media coverage from the Straits Times, Business Times, Bloomberg and Nikkei Asia Review. We expect to deliver a series of thought leadership forums on trade issues related to the trade war and the implementation of the CPTPP this year.
- Women in MedTech: AmCham Women and Healthcare Committee are co-presenting an event focusing on women in MedTech on January 24th from 4.45-7.00 pm featuring some amazing women. Register
- Minister Grace Fu as Guest of Honor at International Women’s Day Gala Dinner: please submit your HERo Awards Nomination for your company and inspiring colleagues that advance gender diversity & inclusion in the workplace. The HERo Awards will be announced during our IWD Gala Dinner on March 27th featuring Minister for Culture, Community and Youth Ms Grace Fu. Submission ends January 31st. For any questions, please contact Jessica at firstname.lastname@example.org. To reserve a corporate table at the Dinner before the tickets sell out, please contact Nathan at email@example.com.
- Biggest Corporate Community Day with 22k Bowls of Rice Raised: thank you to the 515 AmCham members and our partners at the US Embassy that came out on a Saturday morning for our annual corporate community day. We raised 22,000 bowls of rice for our charity partner South East CDC for needy families in Singapore. Also a huge thanks to our Chair of Social Impact Taskforce, Lisa Williamson (AmCham Governor) with Marina Bay Sands for her active support and leadership in scaling up our impact!
- NextGen Business Leadership Program Registration: congratulations to those of you that took advantage of our early admission to register your high-potentials in your company to guarantee their spot in this year-long leadership development program. The registration will be open until the end of January and we have a great lineup of 12 modules planned. See Program Brochure and Register. The program begins on February 19, so please sign up soon!
- APCAC Annual Business Summit in Hong Kong: the 2019 APCAC Business Summit will be hosted by AmCham Hong Kong in Hong Kong on March 4-5, 2019. All of the AmChams and our members in the APAC region gather to network and share insights on pressing issues in the region. It is a great opportunity to connect or, reconnect with business and governmental leaders in the region. Please follow the link and register directly with AmCham Hong Kong. I look forward to seeing you there.
- Young Professionals Forum Steering Committee: we’re happy to announce the newly launched AmCham Young Professionals Forum (YPF) Steering Committee which includes Adam Click (Google), Deirdre de Padua (P&G), Emily Moore (Gibson Dunn & Crutcher), Emmanuel Benardos (Ponte Group), Ian Feldman (MBS), Kevin Teng (MBS), Nikhil Kharoo (fitbit), Shini Rajannan (Netflix) and Yiannis Korkovelos (PMI).
Open to AmCham member companies only, YPF is a like-minded group of high performing young professionals who are career focused and interested in learning. If this is you and you’d like to expand your network while accessing and gaining insights from high level business and government leaders (or you’d like to nominate a young leader at your company), we encourage you to apply to YPF. Please fill out the interest form and our team will be in touch. If accepted to the annual forum, a S$100 registration fee applies. For more program details contact Ashley at firstname.lastname@example.org.
We are in the process of finalizing other compelling programs to meet the diverse interests and needs of our members so I hope you will find the right programs, government engagement platforms, and/or B2B opportunities that are right for you. If you have any questions about anything related to what we do, or have suggestions on how we can better serve you, please do not hesitate to contact me. I look forward to seeing you soon!
All the best,