AmCham Executive Director’s August Top 10 List
It’s exactly a year since I joined AmCham, and what a whirlwind it’s been! A lot has happened in one year and we implemented a number of new programs and initiatives, but as you may know, AmCham has been serving our member companies for over 45 years. So, I thought I’d start my Top 10 List this month by recognizing our 24 “Pioneer” AmCham Members who have been with us since our founding:
- Our (24) “Pioneer” Member Companies Since 1973, Founding of AmCham: the following companies have been a member with us consecutively since late 1973 and 1974 when AmCham was founded. They are: HP Inc (1973, our first member joined on December of 1973!), followed by other Pioneers that joined a couple of weeks after in early 1974. These include American Express, Caterpillar, Ernst & Young (EY), KPMG, United Airlines, Bank of America Merrill Lynch, AIG, Coca-Cola, ExxonMobil, Pfizer, Phillip Morris (PMI), Abbott Laboratories, Dow Chemical, Crown Worldwide, Burson-Marsteller, Chevron, Grand Hyatt, JP Morgan Chase, Accenture (formerly Arthur Andersen Consulting), Texas Instruments, and IBM. Thank you to our Pioneers and to ALL of our members for your support and engagement!
- We ended the month of August with the annual Welcome Back Reception attended by over 200 business leaders accompanied by fantastic live entertainment by Song Division. It was a great event, but we’ll already thinking about how we can change things up to make it even better! As of end of August, we conducted 139 events but the next few months will be the busiest time of the year for AmCham, so please stay tuned-in!
- Hosting Minister Chan Chun Sing, Ministry of Trade & Industry: we had one of our biggest turnouts for our Balestier Lunch with Minister Chan on 14 August. Missed the event? You can read the highlights from the media coverage of the event in Straits Times, Channel News Asia, and TodayOnline on the key issues the Minister discussed with AmCham members. Please check our Events Calendar on our website www.amcham.org.sg so that you don’t miss out on any of our future events!
- AmCham Women Accelerate Symposium, 28 September: our inspiring speakers (Iain McLaughlin, Coca-Cola; Vaishali Bhat, Johnson & Johnson; Dominic Iacono, Kimberly-Clark; Priyali Kamath, P&G; and Margie Warrell, Author, Leadership Speaker & Founder, Global Courage) and executive coaches have all been confirmed! Please join us for our first AmCham Women Accelerate Symposium & Cocktail Reception on 28 September sponsored by Medtronic. Get complimentary coaching in our “Micro-Coaching Lounge” at the Symposium while connecting with other passionate business leaders. Be inspired by our panel of speakers on what it takes to lead in an increasingly multicultural and diverse work environment. If you’re interested, please register soon as our AmCham Women events always reach over capacity.
- AmCham’s 2018 Corporate Community Day Walk for Rice, 27 October: want to make a difference in the Singapore community and give back? Don’t have your own CSR activity in Singapore? Please join us with your colleagues, friends and families to “Walk for Rice” supported by Citi on October 27 at the beautiful Bedok Reservoir Park to support low-income families of South East Community Development Council (SE CDC). For every 100 meters that you walk, AmCham will donate one bowl of rice to a needy family in Singapore. Last year’s event was attended by 360 which resulted in raising 11,608 bowls of rice for the beneficiaries. Show your company’s spirit, put on your corporate t-shirts and Walk for Rice with us!
- AmCham recognized as adopter of Tripartite Standard on Flexible Work Arrangements (FWA): we’re proud to have been officially certified by the Tripartite Alliance for Fair and Progressive Employment Practices (TAFEP) which differentiates AmCham as a choice employer for having progressive practices. AmCham has also adopted the broader Tripartite Standards (see TAFEP’s Pledge Signer for Fair Employment Practices). Do check if your company is one of over 5,000 existing Pledge Signers here.
- AmCham and Member Companies Support Ministry of Health & Temasek Foundation’s “Project Silver Screen”: we’re honored to be recognized as a Partner organization for the official launch of a program to support the functional screening programme for the elderly – to be named as Project Silver Screen. This transformative program to be launched later this month by Minister for Health, Mr Gan Kim Yong would provide mobile clinics to screen the elderly on their vision, hearing and oral health. We’re working closely with the Singapore Business Federation Foundation and Temasek Foundation to raise awareness and funding for this incredible program in partnership with the Ministry of Health. Please have your company consider contributing to this much needed program. Let’s make a difference and make an impact! Email me to learn more.
- Hosting Defense Minister and IRAS Commissioner, 18 September: as part of our Balestier Series, we’ll be hosting a lunch dialogue with the Minister of Defense and the Commissioner for the Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore on 18 September (Defense) and 25 September (IRAS). This is the first time that AmCham is hosting these two key government officials for a dialogue, so please join us for what is sure to be a robust discussion on issues important to the AmCham business community.
- Cybersecurity Subcommittee Established and Co-Chair Appointed: due to popular demand, AmCham Board has officially approved the establishment of a Cybersecurity subcommittee under the ICT Committee. We’re pleased to also announce the appointment of Angelo Roxas, Booz Allen Hamilton as the first co-chair of the Cybersecurity Subcommittee. Please contact Ravi Alfreds firstname.lastname@example.org or Stella Soh email@example.com if you’d like to learn more about joining this subcommittee or playing a leadership role as a co-chair.
- Attention HR Leaders – 2018 Human Capital Conference with Minister Josephine Teo, Ministry of Manpower on Multi-Generational Workforce, 19 October: if you’re an HR leader, please do not miss our biggest HR event of the year on 19 October presented by Santa Fe Relocation. In addition to the Minister, we’ll have two incredible panels of thought leaders who will share their insights on the theme of the multi-generational workforce. The conference will not only discuss how companies and educational institutions are managing and preparing for the different needs of the multi-general workforce, but also on how companies from different generations themselves from GE (founded in 1892), Adobe (founded in 1982) to Grab (founded in 2012) approach the multi-generational workforce in their companies. Curious? Please see our panel of other fantastic speakers and moderators and topics to be discussed here. We look forward to seeing you there!
Please be sure to check our Events Calendar regularly, and keep a lookout for emails from AmCham Events, and our weekly Networker Newsletter so that you don’t miss out on future events! By the way, if you reply directly to this email with the code “Pioneers”, I’ll extend 1 complimentary ticket to the event of your choice this year if you’re one of first 25 to respond! Thank you for reading!
All the best,